Using an expository / pictorial essay on evaluations, to link course concepts and somewhat ‘spiral the curriculum.’
– Provide students (ahead of the unit test date) with a ‘Big Question’ involving a concept that can be applied to much of the unit material.
– Allow students a few days to prepare their answer before the test.
– Possibly provide them with a list of terms to explain and include in their answer.
– Require diagrams to be included in their answer, as well as text.
– Provide a ledger size piece of paper to be used to practice their answer.
– During the test, students are provided with the list of terms again to prompt them to write out the answer they prepared. (They are not allowed to bring their practice paper to use).
– Optional: allow students to prepare their own list of terms (pre-approved by teacher)