Blog Submitted by Michael Frankfort, Co-Chair of STAO Elementary Curriculum Committee
What is it?
An innovative, volunteer-based program dedicated to inspiring young people in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- The Engineer-in-Residence program is an experiential learning opportunity for K-12 students across Canada.
- Classroom teacher gets connected with a local engineer for the school year to create custom STEM activities and lessons to support the curriculum.
- The engineer mentor visits their EIR class MONTHLY to do presentations, activities, and share their personal engineering stories! Programming is customized for each class.
- Apply online before May 31st.
- Meet your engineer! Intro emails are sent out BEFORE the end of June connecting each teacher with their engineer. (If we cannot match you with a class/volunteer that is geographically nearby, you will be matched for virtual visits).
- Engineers attend live training modules (4 sessions, one per week throughout July).
- Educators & volunteers meet to create a plan for visits. Teachers – it’s ideal if you can involve your engineer in the planning process!
- Program Kick’s off in September! Everyone’s invited to a live (virtual) Kick-off event in the fall!
- EIR classroom visits can start as early as September and continue monthly for the duration of the school year.
- Keep us in the loop! We’re here to help. Don’t forget to tag us (@EIRProgram) and share photos. We love to see EIRs in action!