A sudden and very loud bang from the fume hood – another accidental explosion of NI3?
The student was standing at the fume hood, with the window halfway down and arms inside, pouring the mixture into a filtration apparatus. The ammonia-iodine mixture in the beaker had been left overnight but apparently was not yet completely dry. The student held the beaker with beaker tongs. The two teachers who were present in the lab, but not observing the student, heard a sudden loud bang – the beaker had fallen in the fume hood and, it seemed, the nitrogen compound had exploded. Although the student’s head was outside the fume hood window, a tiny particle of undetermined nature went into his eye. The particle was removed at the hospital and no further consequences ensued. He was lucky! We were lucky!!