A science teacher was re-labelling a 150 mL plastic dropping bottle containing 1.0 mol/L sodium hydroxide with a wax crayon, holding it close to his eyes, when the bottle disintegrated. The teacher suffered chemical splashes to his face, neck and upper body. Fortunately, he was wearing chemical splash goggles and no eye injuries were sustained. Close examination of other dropping bottles resulted in others being identified with cracks and the potential to disintegrate if any pressure was applied to them.
Learning by Accident – Disintegrating Plastic Dropping Bottle
Categories: General Interest