A laboratory drying oven was completely destroyed by a solvent explosion. A spark in the thermostat ignited the vapour produced by the evaporation of the final traces of solvent from some crystals. Fortunately, no one was in the immediate area at the time so there were no injuries sustained. In a separate incident, a fridge that contained a bottle of ether, opened during a fruit fly experiment, blew the door off its hinges. Again, fortunately this did not result in injury or in further property damage.
Learning by Accident – An Explosive Occurrence!
Categories: General Interest