I was cleaning up and packaging old chemicals for elimination at the end of the school year. It was a hot, humid June day. As I picked up a bottle of liquid bromine in the fume cupboard, the bottle slipped right out of my rubber-gloved hand and smashed onto the floor. Lucky for me, I did not get a drop on myself! However, the spilled liquid bromine started to evaporate almost immediately and the brown vapour began to rise. l phoned the Principal to contact the fire department. In the meantime, I evacuated the laboratory. The fire department team arrived shortly thereafter. Luckily. I had updated the MSDS sheets, all in a binder in the office, and could direct the firefighters on cleanup. I told them they had to use their breathing apparatus. The spill area was flooded with sodium thiosulfate solution and the windows were opened to ventilate the lab. Things worked out all right in the end and there were no casualties or injuries.
Learning by Accident – A Nasty Spill!!! Bromine Spill
Categories: General Interest