STAO2016 Connect. Explore. Create.
Experience the possibilities.
Reserve these dates: November 10, 11, 12, 2016
Location: The International Plaza Hotel Toronto Airport
This year’s conference invites you to CONNECT with other science educators, to learn from and with each other; to EXPLORE the Exhibit Hall, the extensive selection of workshops, and the first ever STAOPlayground; and to CREATE teaching and learning experiences to energize your classroom.
- The STAO2016 Conference Program is now available online.
- Download the STAO2016 Preplanner (Note: this is a large file - 3.76 MB. Use the ONLINE PLANNER for more current information.)
Check Out These STAO2016 Featured Speakers
Dr. Dave Williams, Astronaut
To Burp or Not to Burp: A Guide for 7 to 11 Year Olds about your Body in Space. Friday, Nov. 11.
To burp or not to burp in space? It is a question that has surely plagued your students, if not you, every time there is a discussion about space travel. Let Dr. Dave Williams, one of our Canadian astronauts, enlighten you with not only the answer to what happens to your body in space but many more tidbits of fascinating space travel information.
Spoons and Thumbs: Story Telling in Science. Thursday, Nov. 10
Best-selling science writer, Sam Kean, opens STAO2016’s featured speaker series on Thursday, November 10th by talking about spoons and thumbs? Yes, the science of the ordinary spoon and thumb can become fascinating if told as a story. Sam will relate many stories from his numerous science books, such as The Disappearing Spoon and The Violinist’s Thumb that can capture student imagination.
The following STAO2016 exhibitors have promotions for you!
STAO Events at STAO2016
Join us on Thurs. Nov. 10, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. for a buffet dinner, catch-up with old friends, and meet new ones in the STAO community. More information and ticket purchase HERE.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
All STAO members are invited to the AGM on Fri. Nov. 11, 2016 at 4:45 p.m. Come and have a say in your organization.
Don’t sit in traffic after the sessions have ended. Instead, come to the Exhibit Hall for prize draws, Thursday and Friday until 6:00 p.m. More information HERE.
STAO SCIENCE STORE
The STAOScienceStore will be in the International Foyer (by the West Entrance) all three days of the conference.
New For 2016:
- STAOPlayground: an interactive space designed for exploration and networking
- Saturday Certificate Workshop Program
- Connecting Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics: STEAM education
- Creating Inclusive Learning Environments: meeting the needs of all learners
- Enhancing Classroom Practice: sharing best practices, tips & tricks, and other tools for the classroom
- Connecting and Collaborating with others: growing your professional learning network
- Exploring New Frontiers: what’s new in science and science education